CRAN - The Child Rights Academic Network
CRAN is a broad network of academics, advocates, children's rights and legal experts from across Canada, the U.S. and U.K. who are involved in teaching, researching, and advocating for children’s rights. The Landon Pearson Centre established CRAN in 2008, with support from the Muttart Foundation and the Centre For Initiatives on Children, Youth and Community. The Muttart Foundation continues their generous funding of this initiative.
Each year, CRAN members meet in Ottawa with the express purpose to respond to the concerns and questions raised by young people who attended the previous year's Shaking the Movers workshops. Young people set the agenda for the CRAN symposium and these responses are released in a report following each meeting. In addition, CRAN members develop concrete plans for current and future rights-based activities and initiate collaborative research possibilities with a view to building an active, effective and lasting network. CRAN's inaugural meeting took place in Ottawa on November 22, 2008.
CRAN 2016 Proceedings click here
CRAN 2017: January 27-28, 2017
Landon Pearson and Virginia Caputo hosted the 8th annual Child Rights Academic Network (CRAN) Symposium on January 27-28, 2017. Sixty-five children's rights scholars, advocates and observers from across Canada and the U.K. met at Carleton with the support of the Muttart Foundation to discuss this year's theme: children's rights and climate change.
1. ERIC (Ethical Research Involving Children). Click here.
2. Ethics and Research with Young People in Challenging Contexts, Bray et al (2014). Click here.
3. "Teens Sue Government for Failing to Address Climate Change." Click here.
4. Sue Bennett CRAN presentation. Click here.
- CRAN 2016: responds to two Shaking the Movers: Exploitation VIII and Sexual Exploitation IX [Ontario and BC reports] (pdf report) . Click here
- CRAN 2015: response to the Shaking the Movers VII: The Right to Play (pdf).
- CRAN 2014: response to the Shaking the Movers VI: Children’s Mental Health workshop (pdf report).
- CRAN 2012: response to the Shaking the Movers V workshop (pdf report).
- CRAN 2010 response to the Shaking the Movers IV workshop on Children and the Media (pdf report) .
- CRAN 2009 response to the Shaking the Movers III workshop on Child Rights in Education (pdf format).
- CRAN 2008, response to the Shaking the Movers II workshop on Identity and Belonging (pdf report).